Monday, April 13, 2009

Wilco: Side With the Seeds



As I was getting my mindset ready for Wilco's appearance at IU on Thursday, I came across this fantastic video from the band's DVD Ashes of American Flags. The DVD has yet to be released, it is planned to come out on April 18th. The video is Wilco oh so amazingly performing "Side With the Seeds" taken from their most recent album Sky Blue Sky. Now, I won't be the first to say I did not like this album the first time I heard it. A lot of people did not like it, because, well it was different from what we had gotten used to from Wilco. From Summerteeth in '99, to the best album of 2002 from Village Voice's Annual Critics Poll along with a perfect 10 from Pitchfork Media Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in '02, to the 2 Grammy Award Winning A Ghost Is Born in '05, to even their Kicking Television: Live In Chicago album also in '05. I just could not get into Sky Blue Sky for many reasons. Maybe it was the fact that I couldn't accept that the frontman Jeff Tweedy was finally clean, or that I couldn't hear what Sky Blue Sky really was: a great band having fun on record. I now officially rescind my "I hate Sky Blue Sky" comments I've made throughout the past couple years. My disappointment maintained solely upon my Wilco snobbish ways (for they are one of if not my favorite band). Maybe I wanted to show that I knew about Wilco's previous works, a la Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Or maybe I just couldn't accept the fact that my favorite album, or the sound of YHF, would change, even it was just for one album. I do hope they return to that YHF sound though. But, for all of you who may have heard that Sky Blue Sky was not a good album, pick it up yourself, hear it yourself. It truly is a great record. Wilco still amazes me, that they have the ability to have such a widespread audience. You've got teenagers who love their music, and you have 40-50 year olds who love it too. I can't wait to go to the concert this Thursday, wonder if Tweedy will party with us afterwards...

Video:> Wilco: "Side With the Seeds"

No comments: